Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A new year...a new blog.

A fair warning to any of you contemplating following...I am going to use this more as a journal than a formal blog. I want to hold myself accountable for the goals I set forth and have something to look back on. In a year it may be something I decide to turn into a book or shamefully burn. We shall see.

This is going to take a lot of effort on my behalf since I am not much of a blogger and failed miserably at blogging last year but I have to believe I can do it.   ::I think I can I think I can::

Taking a look back I have to say 2012 was good to me. I got to enjoy a magical year of marriage to the most amazing man I know. We were able to do some traveling (California, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Cozumel twice, Cayman Islands, Roatan, Progresso, Belize just to name a few) and start new ventures. The year brought opportunities as well hardships. We got to set foot on an adventure to Washington which meant I had to take a leap of faith and quit my job at Pinnacle after over 4 years of tenure there. Spent 6 months away from home making new friends and missing family. I got a new job with the company Alan decided to move over to and that company had a reduction in workforce making yesterday my last day. 

So I start this year jobless but happier than I have ever been. I have a husband that loves me, an amazing calling in the primary that makes me excited about my future in elementary education. I go back to school next week excited to be back after a long break. I have two fun, crazy, energetic heelers that keep me entertained daily. I am so happy but I still find myself thirsty for life and ready to take on whatever life is ready to throw at me. 

With a new year comes new resolutions. As a look forward to 2013 there is a multitude of things I want to accomplish:

  • Be more patient with my husband and find reasons to love him more and criticize him less
  • Read the Book of Mormon cover to cover-something I have sadly never done 
  • Get ready nearly everyday-lets be honest there are just somedays I just need my sweats!
  • Get in shape and eat healthy and make dinner at home more often eating out less
  • Train my dogs and make sure they get adequate exercise
  • Get my associates degree by the end of the year
  • Seek out service opportunities-big or small
  • CRAFT-and nest I need to fill my empty walls and hallways to make my house a home
  • Start bettering myself and preparing to be a future mother so when the time is right we can grow our little family
  • Accomplish something EVERYDAY and blog about it
Those are just a few of many things I want to do and those of you that are reading this will get to experience my successes and failures with me. 

I recently read a book called "Cold Tangerines" a dear friend gave to me for Christmas (oddly enough I actually had bought her the second book that follows Cold Tangerines for Christmas which just shows her and I make great friends since we think so much alike). I had read about it before on her blog and I was fascinated by the impact it made on her life. Anyhow, reading this book made me reflect on my own life. My life is wonderful but I often wake up and just go through the motions...wake up, eat, work, eat, work, eat, sleep. I spend some time with my husband but often miss opportunities for quality time with him or a friend or family member. My conversations become more mundane and my days more routine. I felt a sudden qualm about the lack of passion and gratitude I had for this life. Who was I to act so entitled?

After reading the book I craved those "cold tangerine" moments and know they have always been there waiting and desiring that I notice them. So heres to a new year full of mystery that I welcome and anxiously not just anticipate but seek out. I plan to embrace all that 2013 has to offer me...the good, the bad, the beautiful. Thankful everyday to have today.

So heres to today... To sleeping in till 2 in the afternoon, to eating too many chocolate covered pomegranates, to tator tot casserole and to my nephew looking deep into my eyes just to discover all the colors and make sure I am aware of them. Thankful for today.

3 comments:

Sara Liechty said...

Hurray! I'm looking forward to reading your new blog!

Amanda O said...

I need to read that book! It sounds super good! Love the resolutions for the year!

Unknown said...

Amanda!! You would love it. After you read that you should read her other book called Bittersweet. They are easy reads just short stories. I love it.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio